Tuesday 7 June 2016

Yorkshire Belles....

Well hi there birdies and happy humpday to you all.
True to my word here is a mid-weekish post on my recent trip to York.

As I previously mentioned my desire to visit York was first ignited a number of years ago when I read a book called Louisa Elliott by Ann Victoria Roberts. My copy of the book is much loved and shows all the signs of this. I will not apologise for this. I believe all books should look like this after they have been enjoyed and enjoyed again. I used to be avaricious reader, time has curtailed this in the last few years - holidays aside. I still read but where once I would stay up all night to finish a book these days I can only manage a few p
ages before I nod off. 

Anyway I digress, as I am wont to do....ask Mr Birdie !
York ..... I have tried several times to get a weekend there and I once passed very close by with work but never actually made it inside the city walls. All that changed bank holiday weekend when we packed up Roger and arrived in a lovely little camp-site around 3 miles from York called Acomb Grange. The site was small but perfect with electric hook up and some room for non electric and tents and was never completely full but did have quite a few visitors over the weekend.

On the Saturday my beautiful friends Kirsten and Sarah drove over from Liverpool to spend the day with us as we haven't been in the same place for a while. Lets face it Whatsapp and snap-chat are good but not the same as actually spending time with people. Although in the next few months we will be seeing plenty of each other as we have lots of plans.

When we go away in Roger we also take Rhonda our 50cc Honda scooter and Kirsten was itching to have a spin so while I locked up the van off she went with the Mr. I think she had lots of fun.

We drove into York and parked by the river, walking into the city walls right by York Minister.
I have to say I was not disappointed at all. We spent the first part of the day wandering around a few of the shops and bought the obligatory badge for our camp blankets.
We went to Jamies for lunch, Sarah is a Coeliac and as they catered for her it was an easy choice.
I had a burger and chips which was nothing special to be fair although I did enjoy it. we all declined pud in favour of getting an ice cream later on.
One thing I have to say is the toilets in Jamies were amazing. They were all old porcelain Crapper toilets and cisterns with old sinks and swan neck taps...an absolute dream of a bathroom in my opinion.


After lunch we decided to walk the city walls, stopping off for an ice cream before we started . The wall walk is 3.4 km. most of the walls are intact although there are sections where you have to get off the walls and walk along to find the next section. its all very well sign posted and something I'd highly recommend if you visit York yourself. 

Sarah and Kirsten left us on Saturday evening , but not before a visit to the McArthur Glen outlet and some retail therapy.

On the Sunday the Mr and I went back into York to explore some more of the places mentioned in my book. We took a walk to The Shambles and Petergate and spent a few hours having a wander around. We came across a market and an amazing record store that I didn't get a picture of but we did get some fantastic old vinyl off there for both ourselves and our daughter Chloe who was bought a turntable for her birthday recently.

No visit to York would have been complete without a trip to Betty's for afternoon tea. there are two Betty's in York. The main flagship store is renown around the world and therefore the queue for tea was around the building. But there is also a smaller shop with a seating area above just a stones throw away which serves exactly the same afternoon tea. We must have timing it perfectly because we walked right in and were seated in a nice little table by the fireplace. We opted for the standard Betty's afternoon tea and we not disappointed at all. everything about it was amazing and I particularly enjoyed the lemon macaron which was just like a lemon meringue pie...ummmmmm.

All in all I have to say York did not let me down. To top it off on the Sunday afternoon the minster bells were ringing which really made my day. I will definitely go back again but I'm booked up for the rest of this year with trips to Stratford, Liverpool and Wales to name a few we have in the diary.   

so that's all for now...have a fun second half of your week Birdies...and remember....

Make good choices...

BB
                                   
                                 x





A Few of the amazing toilets in Jamie's Italian York

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and taking the time to leave a message.
As soon as the message is moderated it will appear on the blog

thanks

BB x